Good backup hard drive

Johnneylee Rollins johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 18:33:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>                 How to use the HP SimpleSave on Linux
>
>         I have the hard drive (which is small and made with the new
> non-rotating memory) to work on Linux all versions. The NTSF file system
> is known to Linux so it is not a problem.
>
>         The many files on the hard drive put there to boot the hard
> drive when the USB plug is placed into a Windows computer. This action
> will interfere with using rsync on Linux. So here is what I did to allow
> this hard drive to work on Linux:
>
>         1. Plug the device into a USB port on your Linux computer. On
> the computer using modern Ubuntu Linux the hard drive will appear on the
> /media/ directory as /media/HP SimpleSave/. With a terminal, cd to the
> hard drive.
>
>         2. Use ls -al to display all the files on the hard drive. Use:
>
>         $ mkdir stuff
>
>         3. Now put all these files in the directory /stuff/:
>
>         $ mv * stuff  You will get an error saying it did not put
> /stuff into /stuff.
>
>         $ ls -al will show that the only thing on the hard drive is now
> a directory /stuff.
>
>         3. Now try to do a backup and it will work in a normal fashion.
> I use this:
>
>         $ rsync -avz / --exclude-from=/home/karl/bin/exclude-list
> /media/'HP SimpleSave'/bkup-1/
>
>         4. I have a backup of my whole computer on the little hard
> drive right now. I can do a partial backup of new things as desired.

Any questions? Or blog post? Maybe you could have your blog post
threads prepended with [Blog] so as to help other users understand
you're just posting about some new results you've came up with? Just a
suggestion. I'm saving all your blog posts, soon I will have a domain
with all of them available. I think it'd be kinda cool. :)

~SpaceGhost