USB flash drive changes to read-only on the fly

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 20:38:52 UTC 2010

On 09/22/2010 02:21 PM, Daniel Louw wrote:
> This might be a silly question, but it is very frustrating.
>
> I have this memory stick, a 2 GB one formatted with FAT32.
     FAT32 is a Windows file system but should work fine at 2 GB.

> I was working on a .C file stored on the memory stick, saving as I
> made progress with the code. Then all of a sudden I cannot save
> anymore. I get an error saying the disk is read only. I cannot create
> new folders or files or anything. chmod doesn't work, it simply says
> read only partition. What the hell?
     Tell us what kind of computer the memory stick is plugged into please.

> Could it be because I compile directly on the disk?
     No.

> I use the disk a lot at university and it is much easier to just work
> directly on the disk.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated!

     I think the computer your using might have changed the memory
stick, or, the memory stick has just died. They do not have a long life,

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User