WTF?! NO floppy in Lucid or in Meerkat!

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 14:17:48 UTC 2010

On 24 September 2010 07:35, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I've busted my balls over the past 2 days trying to figure out why my
>
> floppy will not be recognised and display the contents of a floppy disc.
>
> I need the floppy to be able to flash the BIOS on a pre-loved mobo I
> bought 2 weeks ago.
>
> I buggered around trying to figure out why the floppy (floppies actually
> on all the 3 Ubuntu systems I have) won't work - when all did work under
> the previous distro I was using.
>
> And what do I now find?
>
> The floppy drive is not really catered for by Ubuntu Lucid, or even
> Meerkat (I've tried) now!
>
> Here is a gem from a Lauchy discussion on this matter:
>
> QUOTE
>
>>  NoOp [2010-08-31 2:20 -0000]:
>>  >  Can one of the devs listed in the assigned: Andy Whitcroft and
>>  >  Martin Pitt please explain the status?
>>
>>  You already summarized it pretty well. None of the devs have a floppy
>>  disk, so debugging them is a pain (as much of a pain as floppy disks
>>  are in the first place..) Personally, the last one I had was 2002..
>>
>>  So for now, I'm afraid that you have to use an older Ubuntu release
>>  for now, or use the downgraded version for a while.
>>
>>  I'm sorry that this isn't the answer you are looking for, but it's the
>>  current situation.
>
> UNQUOTE
>
> Note: none of the devs computers with a floppy....so for all you silly
> bums and no-hopers who do have one.....tuff teaties!
>
> And for all those who still spout the line that Ubuntu will run on all
> hardware -- get real! It's crap!

*Boggle*

That is /appalling./ It does explain why I've not been able to use the
FDD under 10.04, though.

I am dismayed that I am going to need to keep an older version around
just to read/write floppies, though. I don't use them often but I do
still need them sometimes.

> (Also, just FYI, and this might explain a few things, all the devs
> appear to be using laptops, not desktops, for their work; this also
> stated in this "bug thread".)

This I suspected; Mark Shuttleworth invited me & the other survivors
of a launch party back to his South Kensington flat once. Thinkpads
everywhere, no desktops.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com