irregardless

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 13:45:09 UTC 2010

On 21 September 2010 06:10, terry l <xtlynne at charter.net> wrote:
> I put this thread mainly because rday had a hissy fit over using
> depreciate instead of deprcated so i though correcting was in order. how
> silly of me. and then i find how many geniuses seem to be latched on to
> vol 73 iss 147 to see themselves in print and run their own mouths and
> taking potshots at  karl....   tsk tsk tsk

Not 100% sure what you mean here, but "deprecate" and "depreciate" are
2 totally different words, spelled differently, pronounced differently
and meaning 2 different things. So yeah, use one instead of the other
and confusion will ensue.

Deprecate: to play down, de-emphasize, or in computing terminology,

Depreciate: to gradually lose value over a period of time, or in
accounting terminology, to
steadily mark down the value of an item as it ages until it is
effectively valued at zero and can be disposed of.

They're not even similar, really.

And by the way, "Zorch", yes, I am a grammatical perfectionist. It
causes me an almost physical pain every time I have to read someone
misusing my and their native language.

If it is not their native language, well, fair enough, but if it is,
if one is going to write in it for others to see, do it correctly.

If one is too stupid or didn't pay attention in school and don't know
how, then tough: learn.

Dyslexia is not an excuse. It merely makes it harder. Big deal; lots
of things are hard for various people. Many of the greatest humans who
have ever lived became great because they were overcoming obstacles
that made things hard for them. Stephen Hawking is became the
theoretical physicist he is *because* of the progress of his disease,
not in spite of it, according to the man himself.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com