Dual boot problem - Vista disappeared from Grub menu

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 22 07:12:42 UTC 2010

On 21 September 2010 22:49, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Why even have the Vist recovery environment entry at all? Remember this
> thread?
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-March/213839.html

Thanks NoOp, I had had a quick look at /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober and
thought it should not be too difficult to remove the windows ones by
hacking that file.  Your link led me to
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/209346 which has
Tom H's script for doing almost what I need.

Given how easy it is once you know how the script works it is
surprising that there are not some more features available through
/etc/default/grub to allow things like hiding of specific entries.
For a scripting expert this would only be minutes work.  For me rather
longer sadly.

Colin