Just about driven to pull my hair out with Firefox

Anthony Papillion papillion at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 09:24:50 UTC 2010

Hi Basil,

Sorry about that. Let me answer those questions now and I do hope my
answers help with your other thread...

> what are you using - a desktop or a laptop and what is the system:
> 32-bit or 64-bit?;

It's an Acer laptop running the 32-bit version of Ubuntu. Tried the
64-bit a while back and had no really compelling use for it so I went
to 32 instead.

> what is your CPU and how much RAM do you have?;

It's an AMD dual core Sempron CPU running at 1.6Ghz and 3GB RAM,

> are you using the Ubuntu supplied Firefox, and upgrading it using Update
> Manager or using apt-get in a terminal, or are you using Firefox from
> Mozilla and therefore installing it yourself?;

Yep, I'm using the Ubuntu supplied version and upgrading through the
Update Manager. Haven't downloaded from Mozilla directly since I know
the Ubuntu supplied version has tweaks unique to the distro.

> which Addons do you have installed - Extensions, Theme, and Plugins?;

No add-ons or extensions. Only plugin I installed was the Flash
Player, gotten from the repository.

> have you tried to Clear the Cache either manually (ie, simply delete it-
> it will rebuild on the next startup of FF) or via the
> Edit>Preferences>Privacy>Settings?

Yes, with no change to the operation of the browser. It still stalled.

> Would appreciate a response because, as I stated, it may help with
> another thread I have ongoing.  Thanks.

There ya go! Hope it helps. Sorry for the curtness of the reply but
it's late and I'm about to go to bed. Let me know if I can answer any
other questions.

Anthony