hardy to lucid pc hard lock ups

Nick Edwards nick.z.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 07:06:37 UTC 2010

Hi there,

Just upgraded from hard to lucid, was impressed, after my video started
working, I have one of those intel chips ubuntu devs don't care about it
seems.
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
Graphics Device (rev 02)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
Graphics Device (rev 02)

Anyway, I managed to get it booting into GUI so I can log in, all is good,
until I try play any video file, the pc hard locks up, requiring hard power
off/on
This as you all know is NOT good for disks!

So, I'm hoping before I wreck another HDD (hardy never ever hibernated when
low battery, that bug got me many times), has anyone seen/resolved this
horrible bug?

I have all the required gstream* plugins and ubuntu-restricted-extras
installed, this all worked fine on hardy.
 Google shows others having this problem too with no resolve.

My only kernel log messages seems to be
 [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
render error detected, EIR: 0x00000000
[drm:i915_do_wait_request] *ERROR* i915_do_wait_request returns -5 (awaiting
375751 at 375750)

In messages I also see and assume it is related
pulseaudio[8348]: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
pulseaudio[8348]: main.c: Unable to contact D-Bus:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket
/tmp/dbus-nGO551cCUf: Connection refused
pulseaudio[8348]: ratelimit.c: 11 events suppressed
bonobo-activation-server (noel-8403): could not associate with desktop
session: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-nGO551cCUf: Connection
refused

I stress, it is a hard lockup, I can not switch to console, the machine also
is not ssh'ble nor pingable when this happens, not very good , I thought I
left  the
one-program-crashes-entire-pc when I left  Windows

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.
Please no offense, but I do not need replies or comments from the likes of
Karl Larsen, who in my time here never really contributes anything but
confusion.

Thanks again
Nicky