arrow keys do not work on command prompt when Lucid is a guest in Vmware workstation &.1.1 build-282343

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 17:21:58 UTC 2010

Scenario 1)
I installed Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit desktop edition as guest OS in Vmware
workstation &.1.1 build-282343
and tried to log in to a virtual console Ctrl+Alt+ Space bar +F1
(since Ctrl+Alt has special meaning in Vmware)
I obeserved you can not use up and down arrow key.
Now I removed gdm and ubuntu-desktop from this
same thing persisted.

Where as if I have the complete gnome setup the arrow keys do work in Guest OS

Scenario 2) Installed Ubuntu 10.04 i386 server edition on Vmware
workstation &.1.1 build-282343
as guest and the same problem persists.Up and down arrow keys could not be used.

Any idea what is the problem ?

--
Tapas