MBR

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Mon Sep 20 09:38:25 UTC 2010

On Monday 20,September,2010 04:11 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>> Do you mean that you suspect Ubuntu's bootloader is still on the MBR?
>> To get rid of it:
>> 1. Boot with Ubuntu liveCD
>> 2. Open terminal: sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/(your harddrive)
>> (adjust to your need: /dev/sda, /dev/hda) bs=1k count=10000
>> That will surely destroy the MBR.
>
> That wipes not only the MBR but the first 10MB of the disk which is more
> than the entire first track. If you really want to only wipe the MBR, it
> would be "bs=512 count=1" instead.

Fajar, Nils, I was wondering about the package 'mbr'
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mbr

Would this be able to handle what Norman wanted without 'deleting' or
setting zeroes to the track which may be 'hazardous'?

Looks like we can set back mbr and then do the XP install without
errors. I am not sure as I have no reason to try this out.

Regards - Goh Lip