how to find which packages take how much space

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 19 12:56:12 UTC 2010

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:08:26 +0530
Tapas Mishra <mightydreams at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using Ubuntu 10.04  32 bit as Guest OS on Vmware for some reason
> I have to remove the packages which consume more space.
> Is there a way to find out which package takes how much space?
> Preferably via command line so that I can save all that for my
> analysis.

'dpkg-query' can do it (details in the man page):

dpkg-query --show --showformat='${Installed-Size}\t${Package} ${Version}\n'
5264    abs-guide 6.2-1
300     acl 2.2.49-3
420     acpi-support 0.137
216     acpid 1.0.10-5ubuntu4
112     acpidump 20100513-1
80      add-apt-key 1.0-0.5
884     adduser 3.112ubuntu1
416     adium-theme-ubuntu 0.3-0ubuntu1
(...)

Cheers,

--
C de-Avillez
IRC: hggdh

This email (and any attachments) is digitally signed using GNUpg
(http://gnupg.org). The public key is available at http://pgp.mit.edu.
The key Id is 0xD3133E56.