Problem defining the Samba workgroup

Traveller traveller at petlover.com
Fri Sep 17 19:27:34 UTC 2010

On 17/09/2010 8:46, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/16/2010 07:00 PM, Tom H wrote:

>>> This apparently is not longer needed on 10.04. I just tried on the
>>> laptop&  it didn't make any difference. What *did* make a difference
>>> after editing 'workgroup =<name>' in /etc/samba/smb.conf was to reboot.
>>> No matter what I tried (stopping/starting/restarting smbd&  networking -
>>> logging out/in) made a difference. I could only pick up the new samba
>>> domain/workgroup name in nautilus *after* I rebooted.
>>
>> I changed the "workgroup = " a few times without restarting either
>> smbd or nmbd and "smbclient -L //127.0.0.1" output the new workgroup
>> as the domain every time! Unexpectedly!
>>
>> The new workgroup was also output after stopping and starting smbd and nmbd.
>>

> Were you checking from a remote machine, or just local?
>
> Sorry, I should have mentioned that was using the laptop as the target
> base (change domain/workgroup) and the desktop to see if the changes are
> broadcast from the laptop to the desktop.

I have been following this thread in an effort to learn about SAMBA
before trying to set it up myself. I'm still not certain I understand
all of what has been said here, but I came across this in another NG
(ubuntu.doc) and I wonder if it might be of assistance?

<quote>
I have really struggled with setting up samba as a domain controller and
it would have been a huge help to have the following information
available at
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/samba-dc.html

Under step 7
Comment that rights need to be explicitly provided to the domain admins
group to allow the add machine script (and other admin functions) to work.
This is achieved by running

net rpc rights grant "YOURDOMAIN\Domain Admins"
SeMachineAccountPrivilege SePrintOperatorPrivilege SeAddUsersPrivilege
SeDiskOperatorPrivilege SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege

(without this step adding a machine fails with message unknown user or
bad password)

Also step 8 is now WRONG In 10.04 you restart Samba by running

sudo restart smbd
sudo restart nmbd

NOT sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
</quote>

I'm a complete noob to this sort of thing, so I may be telling you
something you already know, but I thought I would offer it on the off
chance it might help.

		Dave