dual boot with 2 drives

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 16:59:17 UTC 2010

On 16 September 2010 08:47, Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org> wrote:
> Thank you each for your help, I think I now have the message, is this
> correct:-
>
> 1. Power down computer, fix new drive into computer, connect up to MB
> and disconnect existing drive with Ubuntu on it from the MB.
>
> 2. Install XP onto new drive in the usual way and check that it works.
>
> 3. Power down machine, re-connect the Ubuntu drive, check that the boot
> order in the BIOS puts the Ubuntu drive first and switch on.
>
> If this is all there is to it I will give it a go.

Took me ages to find this thread again!

You have missed a step.

When you get to the point that you have both drives installed, #1 with
Windows and #2 with Ubuntu, then you have 2 ways to proceed.

Either:

[1] use the BIOS to choose which to boot from

Or:

[2] Update GRUB on your Ubuntu drive so that it knows about Windows
and offers you the choice. To do this, boot Ubuntu - using the BIOS to
set Ubuntu's drive as bootable - and then from a terminal type

sudo update-grub

That's about it. Then Windows should be automatically added onto your
GRUB boot menu.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com