Step 5 of install fails

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Sep 17 02:31:18 UTC 2010

On 9/16/2010 7:39 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/15/2010 10:22 PM, Doug wrote:
>> When I get to step 5 of the install (Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.04.1 for
>> Desktop-i386) there is supposed to be a way to select a partition, but
>> it doesn't work.  The only option is to wipe the disk.  I want to
>> install to an extended partition,
>> /dev/sda9, which starts at 10761 and ends at 14075, and is formatted
>> type 83, Linux.  It is otherwise empty.  On this machine there are XP,
>> PcLinuxOs, and Debian Squeeze, all accessed by Grub, and they all work.
>> How can I add Ubuntu to the stew?
>> Thanx--doug
>>

> Can you post a screenshot somewhere - perhaps imageshack? Also, are you
> using the liveCD, Alternate CD, or liveDVD?

In both cases I tried (10.04 and 10.04.1) it was the live CD. What is
the alternate CD, what are its features, and where would I get it?
I know the CD of 10.04.1 works--it installed in school. (The same disk.)

I don't know how I'd paste a screen-shot, except by photograph.
When I get to that screen, I cannot snap on anything but the option
to blow away the whole drive and start over.  Nothing else takes input.
Two other things that I didn't know about/realize when I sent the message:
1. The same screen says there are no other operating systems on the
machine.  (Obviously not true.)
2. Partlogic 0.69 says the other partitions do not start on the right
number, that it should in all cases be 1, but it's not.  I declined the
offer to fix this, but if I can get it again, I will let it try.
As I mentioned in a post on the Debian list, I have a backup for the
XP and PcLOs portions of the drive, but not for the Debian, so if
I blow everything away, I can replace 2/3 of what's there.

I will keep the list posted. --doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
  --A.M. Greeley