EXT2-fs warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Sep 16 06:42:47 UTC 2010

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Here is /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/sda8       /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0 1
> # swap was on /dev/sda14 during installation
> UUID=1414ee34-775a-4ca6-a196-5e23b09f07a8 none swap    sw 0 0
> # swap was on /dev/sda15 during installation
> UUID=49343515-0b63-46b5-8244-96cba544ade2 none swap    sw 0 0
> /dev/sda7       none            swap    sw              0       0

OK, It seems you only have a root partition on /dev/sda8 and some swap
partitions in use and all the other Linux partitions mentioned in your
previous mail are not mounted automatically.

Now the question is if you see the warning when you mount one of the
other partitions manually or if you see it in the log during every boot
which would mean it is for the / partition.

In the first case, you could unmount all the extra partitions if
necessary and then run a command similar to what I suggested in my first
reply (this time without checking the / partition on /dev/sda8):

for n in 6 9 13;do sudo e2fsck /dev/sda$n -C0;done

If your / partition is the problem, I would use the command

sudo tune2fs -C1000 /dev/sda8

to set the mount-count of the / partition to a very high number and then
reboot. Now the boot script should do the fs check and obviously you
shouldn't skip that check.

Nils