Patch Glib

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Sep 15 21:31:05 UTC 2010

Luana C. Rocha wrote:
> I'm new linux user and I need do patch my glib in order to make
> pacemaker-gui to work.
>
> I tried to do these steps, but didn't work. Can someone give me a
> detailed tutorial about how to apply patchs, or point me what i did
> wrong?
>
> I've copy the content of the patch to a file named patch:
>
> Then I execute the commands:
>
> diff -uN /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/gatomic.h /home/luana/patch >
> glib.patch
>
> patch glib.patch
>
> But didn't solve my problem.
> In fact the system "freezes" and looks like the patch wasn't applied.

Actually the system didn't freeze but was waiting for your input to
patch the file glib.patch - but that isn't important because you were on
the wrong track anyway.

If you want to apply a patch to glib you should download the source.
That would be the command

apt-get source glib2.0

Then apply the patch

cd glib2.0-*/
patch -p1 < /path/to/the/patch

where you replace /path/to/the/patch with the path to the patch file
that you downloaded and which was included in your mail. Then install
some extra packages needed for the next steps:

sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall

Then configure and compile the patched source and make and install a
replacement package.

./configure
make
sudo checkinstall make install

However I didn't try if that actually works - I only had a quick look at
the source directory. It is very likely that you also have to install
some development packages before the "./configure" and "make" commands
succeed but on my system there are already so many -dev packages
installed that I can't easily tell you which ones you need.

Nils