Trouble connecting to VNC Server

Dick Dowdell dick.dowdell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 20:58:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:50 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 09/15/2010 10:11 AM, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> > Hey Everyone,
> >
> > I'm needing to access my machine from Windows XP. I've installed
> > vnc4server and done the necessary configurations to get GNOME up as a
> > session manager and allow me to log in. On the Windows machine, I've
> > installed TightVNC and everything looked fine.
> >
> > I tried to connect to my Ubuntu machine from Windows and I am told
> > "Connection Established" but that's as far as it goes. Never prompts
> > me for a password, never shows a login, nothing.
> >
> > Any idea what might be going wrong?
>
> When you enabled the Remote Desktop option you enabled the vino server.
> It's probably using your vnc ports (5900 & 5901) & conflicting with
> vnc4server. They are both vnc server applications & default to the same
> ports.
>
> I think your options will be:
>
> 1. Remove vnc4server and just use vino (Remote Desktop) or vis a vis.
> 2. Configure vnc4server to use different ports (or vino to use different
> ports).
>
> These might be of help:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Clients
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC
>
> This post indicates that you might need to change the TightVNC encoding
> to CoRRE with vnc4server:
> <
> http://kemovitra.blogspot.com/2009/05/remote-desktop-session-with-vnc4server.html
> >

> Note: I use RealVNC or NoMachines NX for connecting from Windows to my
> Gnome systems. RealVNC works w/o issue to vino. NX works extreemly well
> but creates a separate desktop window unless you enable VNC mode & then
> it slows down to VNC speeds/responses.

Hi,

I've just been through the same process with vnc4server and am now
reasonably happy with the results.  I did uninstall the pre-installed remote
desktop software that came with Ubuntu.  It was too slow and my viewer
didn't refresh reliably.  You will, at least, need to make sure that the
Remote Desktop Server is not running so you won't have a port conflict.

When you run vnc4server for the first time it creates some files in the .vnc
directory within your home directory (it will also have you create a
password).  One of the files is /home/<user>/.vnc/xstartup.  You'll need to
edit that file.  The following is my edited copy:

*#!/bin/sh*
*
*
*# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:*
*# unset SESSION_MANAGER*
*# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc*
*exec /usr/bin/gnome-session*
*
*
*[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup*
*[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources*
*xsetroot -solid grey*
*vncconfig -iconic &*
*x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop"
&*
*gnome-session*

The lines I added or changed are in red.  The first line I added starts up
the Gnome Session Manager.  The remaining changes tell VNC4 to use the Gnome
session.

After making these changes you can shut down vnc4server wirh:

*vnc4server -kill :1*

When you next start the server use:

*vnc4server :1 -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 24*

The *-geometry* parameter is the width x height of the monitor you'll be
viewing with and the *-depth* is the color depth (8, 16, 24, or 32).  The
smaller the number, the fewer colors you'll get but the faster your
connection will seem.

I use the free viewer from RealVNC and connect with the server's IP;1.  I'm
then prompted for the password that I set when I first ran vnc4server.

When I access my Ubuntu machine from outside my LAN, I use SSH tunneling
(PuTTY works fine on Windows).

I hope that this is useful.

Regards,
Dick Dowdell