10.04.1 "partion not marked for formatting" during install

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Sep 15 18:30:09 UTC 2010

Hi Alan,

Oh dear. It seems the installer did part of its job, told you what it
was going to try and do, then did that.

QUOTE:
The file system on “/dev/md0” assigned to / has NOT been marked for
formatting. Directories containing system files (/etc, /lib, /usr,
/var, …) that already exits under any defined mountpoint will be
deleted during the install.
Please ensure that you have backed up any critical data before installing”
ENDQUOTE:

On 15 September 2010 19:17, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:
> And the f*cking thing deleted all my media that i had in /usr/share/media

Note '/usr/share/media' is under '/usr/ that it said it was going to delete.

> Even though I said not to format that drive.

It didn't format the drive.

> Oh well, back to the drawing board ...

Bummer. Tips for the future include:-

* Waiting for replies to questions before ploughing on.
* Not putting media in application folders (I'd have put media in
/home/my_user/fu, /media or /mnt or /srv, but not /usr/share, but I
guess you had some valid reason for doing that).
* Backing up first.

None of which helps you now, sorry :(

Maybe if you haven't done anything else destructive you could run
photorec to try to recover files?

Cheers,
Al.