Problem defining the Samba workgroup

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 15 09:47:28 UTC 2010

I'm running a Samba server on lucid. I am attempting to define the workgroup as KAPPA_NET, but the server insists on using WORKGROUP.

/etc/samba/smb.conf shows that

workgroup=KAPPA_NET

I've tried restarting both smbd and nmdb with

sudo service smbd restart
sudo service nmdb restart

...and verified that both services stopped and restarted

Yet probing the LAN from either windows or lucid show that the server is on WORKGROUP

Also, running smbclient -L //127.0.0.1 from the server returns:

Domain=[KAPPA_NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]
Sharename Type Comment
---------------- ------- --------------
print$ Disk Printer Drivers
share Disk
store1 Disk
store2 Disk
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (dumbledore sever Samba Ubuntu))
Officejet Printer HP Officejet 6500 e709n
Domain=[KAPPA_NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

Sharename Type Comment

Workgroup Master
KAPPA_NET PS-B810
WORKGROUP DUMBLEDORE

Where PS-P810 is the name of a windows machine on the LAN that is a member of the workgroup KAPPA_NET and dumbledore is the name of the machine running Samba.

Why isn't the server reporting that is a member of KAPPA_NET?

Paul