dual boot with 2 drives

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 09:01:04 UTC 2010

On 15 September 2010 08:51, Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org> wrote:
> About 3 years ago I set up a computer with 2 drives, one with Ubuntu and
> the other with XP Pro and there was no problem in amending Grub so as to
> be able to choose which drive to use. That machine has now died and I
> want to do the same thing again but, as ever, Ubuntu has moved on and
> what I did back then no longer applies. I have tried to find my way
> around using Google but what I find seems to be beyond my abilities to
> do or even understand.
>
> I have looked into using XP in a virtual window and have just wasted a
> week trying to get a piece of equipment to work which works out of the
> box on a pure XP machine.
>
> I have a working drive with Ubuntu 9.10 and all my files and I have
> other hard drives that I can use for the XP Pro installation so, please,
> can someone tell me the best way to proceed. I accept there are
> alternatives but at least I would then have a choice.

Fit hard disk 1, on its own. Install XP. Patch to current.

Fit hard disk 2, as secondary after HD1. Install Ubuntu 10.04. Use 3
partitions, no more, no less: one smallish one for root, one of 2GB
for swap, the rest for /home.

Re-fit old hard disk with Ubuntu on it as HD3. Extract whatever you
want from your old home directory into your new one. If necessary use
a LiveCD for this, so you can replace files that are in use.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com