umask, ACL inheritance and setgid +s not working with copy from flash drive in nautilus

Andy Graybeal andy.graybeal at casanueva.com
Tue Sep 14 21:33:36 UTC 2010

> I don't think you're heading in a bad direction.. I just don't know how
> to do it....
>
> If you simply use a cp command in a shell, the ACL's inherit properly
> (unless, of course, you add an option to preserve permissions). Alas, I
> have no idea to to control whether or not the various GUI file managers
> preserve file permissions on copy, and this is where your problems come
> from.  (It doesn't help that default ACL seem to be something not at all
> understood by many linux users here.)

Rashkae,
Get this, I just did this from gnome-terminal:

andy.graybeal at buddleia:~$ touch milkmandan
andy.graybeal at buddleia:~$ ls -al milkmandan
-rw-rw-r-- 1 andy.graybeal andy.graybeal 0 2010-09-14 17:27 milkmandan
andy.graybeal at buddleia:~$ chmod g-w milkmandan
andy.graybeal at buddleia:~$ ls -al milkmandan
-rw-r--r-- 1 andy.graybeal andy.graybeal 0 2010-09-14 17:27 milkmandan
andy.graybeal at buddleia:~$ cp milkmandan /srv/Desktop/Tech/
andy.graybeal at buddleia:~$ ls -al /srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
-rw-r--r--+ 1 andy.graybeal tech 0 2010-09-14 17:28
/srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
andy.graybeal at buddleia:~$ getfacl /srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
# file: srv/Desktop/Tech/milkmandan
# owner: andy.graybeal
# group: tech
user::rw-
group::rwx			#effective:r--
mask::r--
other::r--

So it does the same thing from gnome-terminal. I'll be the first to
admit, I have no clue what I'm doing.

Thank you for your input.
-Andy