umask, ACL inheritance and setgid +s not working with copy from flash drive in nautilus

Andy Graybeal andy.graybeal at casanueva.com
Tue Sep 14 20:51:34 UTC 2010

On 09/14/2010 04:37 PM, Derek Maciel wrote:
> So, are you asking that if you had a file X and you copied it to your
> flash drive, edited it, and brought it back to your machine as file Y,
> you want to know how to make file Y the same permissions as the folder
> it's now residing in?

I want to create a file on another system (at home for example), bring
it into work, put it into my teams folder and have the ability for the
rest of my team (group) to be able to read and write to it and "others"
to be able to read it.

I have a Tech and Finance folder.  I want each file underneath that
folder to be owned by the group a certain group. To keep it simple, the
'tech' group I want to have rw access to the Tech folder recursively as
well the Finance folder, the 'finance' group will have rw access
recursively. I think I got this down with setguid +s.

So for instance... I want all the files in a certain folder to look like
this:

-rw-rw-r--+  1 andy.graybeal      tech          0 2010-09-14 16:32 hansolo

andy.graybeal at buddleia:/srv/Desktop/Tech$ getfacl hansolo
# file: hansolo
# owner: andy.graybeal
# group: tech
user::rw-
group::rwx			#effective:rw-
mask::rw-
other::r--

andy.graybeal at buddleia:/srv/Desktop/Tech$

So.. if someone takes a file home and works on it and brings it back, I
think it loses it's permissions, as well as if someone creates a file on
their system at home and brings it in to work.

I hope that makes better sense.

Thank you for asking a clarifying question.
-Andy