Indexed search tool for file content - txt, pdf, doc, spreadsheets, etc?

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Tue Sep 14 19:54:58 UTC 2010

Hello NoOp,

Tuesday, September 14, 2010, 12:10:02 PM, NoOp wrote:

N> On 09/14/2010 10:57 AM, rikona wrote:
>> What indexed search tool(s) are available for Ubuntu? I'd like to be
>> able to search about 50-100 gigs of file content, perhaps as many as
>> 500,000 files, including some quite large single files, with as many
>> file types as possible being indexed. Also would like to do moderately
>> sophisticated searches [nested and/or, quoted strings, proximity
>> search, etc] if possible. This would be needed to reduce the number of
>> hits with lots of info to search. I've used Beagle in the past and it
>> worked fairly well, and also recoll. Is Beagle available, or is there
>> a better/alternative search tool?

First, thanks for the reply...

N> I use recoll.
N> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/recoll

I have too, and worked with the developer to add more sophisticated
search capabilities to recoll.

N> Beagle and Tracker suck up too many resources on my machines.

Beagle does, especially initially with a very large amount of info to
index, or if you're adding/subtracting a lot incrementally. But you
have some control over indexing, and can make it more 'friendly' if
you don't need fast indexing in real time. I've not used tracker.

I use local content search a LOT, though, so for me it is worth it if
I can do good searches.

--

 rikona