Indexed search tool for file content - txt, pdf, doc, spreadsheets, etc?

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Tue Sep 14 17:57:13 UTC 2010

What indexed search tool(s) are available for Ubuntu? I'd like to be
able to search about 50-100 gigs of file content, perhaps as many as
500,000 files, including some quite large single files, with as many
file types as possible being indexed. Also would like to do moderately
sophisticated searches [nested and/or, quoted strings, proximity
search, etc] if possible. This would be needed to reduce the number of
hits with lots of info to search. I've used Beagle in the past and it
worked fairly well, and also recoll. Is Beagle available, or is there
a better/alternative search tool?

Thanks,

 rikona