umask, ACL inheritance and setgid +s not working with copy from flash drive in nautilus

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Sep 14 13:46:54 UTC 2010

Andy Graybeal wrote:
> On 09/14/2010 08:47 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Andy Graybeal wrote:
> >> Why when I copy a file from a jump/flash drive, does it not
> >> inherit the ACL's properly?
> >>
> >> Is it because I copied it from a FAT file system?  My jump drive
> >> is probably FAT16.
> >
> > While I'm not familiar with ACLs, I'm sure that FAT doesn't know
> > anything about Linux permissions and therefore also not about ACLs.
> >
> > If you want to preserve Linux permissions, use tar to make an
> > archive which keeps the Linux permissions. OTOH, I'm not so sure
> > if tar can handle ACLs.
>
> I understand that FAT doesn't recognize linux perms.  I guess I
> imagined that when I copied a file from a FAT filesystem (or any
> filesystem for that matter) to a filesystem with ACL's enabled that
> it would inherit the ACL's that I set the folder to be.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood your intentions. I thought you wanted the
ACLs copied from the jump drive like a property of the file. I have no
idea if the ACLs should be set according to the folder if they come from
a file system without ACLs.

> Also, I'm not trying to archive anything this way, some folks find it
> useful to put files onto a jump drive to edit while they are away
> from work and when they come back to work and put the files onto the
> file server, the files don't inherit the ACLs set on the directories

The idea of using an archive was to make a container for the file
including permissions while it is on that file system which doesn't know
ACLs. But now I see that it wouldn't help unless the file system on the
other machine knows about the ACLs as well.

> Maybe a better question would be how do I get files that I copy into
> a folder to inherit the folders permissions and set the group owner
> to the group owner of the folder.

Yeah, that would have been the right question. And I can't help you
there.

Nils