Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 18:06:42 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 19:19 -0700, NoOp wrote:

> If the OP does an inplace reinstall, preserving / and not formatting,
> then his /home and /opt folders will remain intact. The inplace
> reinstall will reinstall all of the critical sys files. You then restore
> your sources.list, and then reinstall the packages from the saved
> markings file (File|Read Markings). Give it a try & you'll see what I am
> referring to.

Olde Skoole... It was always Caldera's habit to keep things, as you do,
in /opt. Netscape and OO were put there. Stuff like that.

If you take that one step further and put /opt on a separate partition,
then a fresh install won't touch it ...unless you hamfist it and TELL
the install routine to format it ...I'm saying that you would have to go
out of your way to screw it up.

But /home?? There seems to be many differences between last version's
dot-files and this version's. I can't think of anything, configure wise,
that I'd keep between upgrade/installs. I soft-link /home directories
to /opt, like Video, Documents, Downloads, etc... Olde Skoole, but
effective. To me that is what /opt is for.  Plus, I routinely do a
backup of my /home directory to /opt as well to maintain data stored
within some dot-directories. On a 250 gig harddrive I keep 100 gigs
for /opt. It works out pretty well. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256