Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon Sep 13 15:55:54 UTC 2010

On Sunday, September 12, 2010 11:02:21 pm Gilles Gravier wrote:

> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades#Network Upgrade for
> > Ubuntu Desktops (Recommended)
> >
> > Upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS
> >
> > ----------------------------------
> >
> > Network Upgrade for Ubuntu Desktops (Recommended)
>
> Which means you did this : "Because Kubuntu 8.04 was not an LTS release
> and has passed its end of life, direct upgrades to Kubuntu 10.04 LTS
> from Kubuntu 8.04 are not supported. Please follow the directions for
> upgrading Kubuntu 8.04 to 9.10
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KarmicUpgrades/Kubuntu/8.04> first,
> then follow the directions above for upgrades from Kubuntu 9.10."
>
> You upgraded fist to 9.10... then to 10.04?

Because of the above foolishness regarding LTS releases, I merely booted into
Gnome which is otherwise never used around here, performed the 8.04 to 10.04
upgrade and then rebooted into my new Kubuntu 10.04.  There never should have
been any part of an LTS release not really a LTS part.  It just confuses users
and causes bad mouthing of the product.  It is only a good way to drive away
users.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403