Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 13 15:38:47 UTC 2010

On 09/13/2010 01:39 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 13 September 2010 03:19, NoOp <fixyourclienttonotincludeemailaddresseshere> wrote:
>> Please don't suggest that. It's unnecessary and IMO quite harmful
>> advise. What if the OP has packages installed in the /opt folders? For
>> example, I have:
>>
>> $ ls /opt
>> Adobe                JMF-2.1.1e                   openoffice.org
>> BitDefender-scanner  jmf-2_1_1e-linux-i586GG.bin  openoffice.org3
>> cycas39              ooo-dev
>> google               ooo-dev3
>
> Well, for one thing, 110.04 includes OpenOffice 3.2 so you can safely
> discard a manually-installed copy. Which is in fact what I did myself
> on 9.10; the install detected and removed my hand-installed version.

I had to read that twice to realise that your comment is serious. First
you tell the OP to wipe everything but his home folders, and now you
tell me that I can "safely discard a manually-installed copy" of OOo?
Unfrigginbelievable...

FWIW the versions in my /opt folders are standard OOo and standard OOo
dev's for testing and benchmarking against (U)OOo.

>> If the OP does an inplace reinstall, preserving / and not formatting,
>> then his /home and /opt folders will remain intact. The inplace
>> reinstall will reinstall all of the critical sys files. You then restore
>> your sources.list, and then reinstall the packages from the saved
>> markings file (File|Read Markings). Give it a try & you'll see what I am
>> referring to.
>
> You seem to be missing the rather important detail that the OP *tried*
> to do an in-place install and it has failed to complete. A second
> attempt is even less likely to work.

Unless I've missed a post, you seem to be missing the fact that the OP
tried to do an *upgrade*. He then restored it to 8.04: "I had taken an
image before starting and restored it sothis computer is back to 8.04
LTS and I didn't loose anything".

> The *reason* for doing a wipe-and-reinstall is that config files (or
> something) are causing problems with an in-place upgrade. The
> *benefit* of a wipe-and-reinstall is that it *gets rid* of all the
> config files and mabnual customisations and resets you back to a clean
> sheet, as it were.

Blink.

> I did point out that they would have to reinstall any extra programs and so on.

Yeah... try, the whole system.

> In other words, yes, you're right, but I considered these facts and
> issues and factored them in to my suggestion.

Blink.

> But that's all it was. A suggestion.
>
> What is your suggestion for rescuing a b0rked system that will not upgrade?

My suggestions are in my other post to the OP.