request for advice on recovering filesystem

mp mp at aktivix.org
Mon Sep 13 14:17:00 UTC 2010

Due to what I think is a failing USB system (too little voltage perhaps)
an external USB hard drive appeared to be unmounted and remounted about
5 times in a very short period of time - maybe less than 10 seconds -
while music was playing from it, resulting in the file system getting
mangled up.

The disk then could not be mounted due to a bad superblock or inode.

Stupidly I did not take this very serious and ran ext3.fsck with yes to
repair as default and it completed successfully and I thought all was
well, so didn't even keep the log/details.

However, when then mounting the disk it appears empty in a file manager
(and also "ls" in terminal returns nothing). But "df" tells me that the
disk has the same amount of data as before (827GB or so).

I am aware of this info and tools:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/undelete_ext3.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Am I missing something really useful/crucial?

cheers