Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 00:03:15 UTC 2010

On 12 September 2010 22:09,  <clintin at linuxmail.org> wrote:
> This is not an option as there is no space to available to this plus there
> is over 30 GB of stuff on this 40 GB drive.  I really needed the update to
> work and preserve all the settings on this system.

Backup all your stuff, then boot from a live CD, mount the hard disk,
and delete everything on it except /home and its contents. Be careful
not to delete the /home folder.

Ideally, then, so you don't have the problem again, shrink /home a bit
and make a separate filesystem, ideally before /home on the disk, for
/ (the root filesystem). This is much preferable and now you've
experienced why.

When you reinstall, tell the installer to use the /home volume for
/home and (VERY important) *NOT* to format it. It will pick up all
your existing settings and customisations - you'll just have to
reinstall any programs you've added by hand.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com