Any suggestions, please?

Li Li lili_lilly at charter.net
Sun Sep 12 16:45:28 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 13:13 +1000, ruscook wrote:
> On 12/09/10 01:46, Li Li wrote:

> > I think I learned it in Oz.  Maybe
> > it is now old-people speak

> Sorted is very "Arthur Daley"  i.e. the UK
>  TV series Minder set in the late 60's early 70s. Would not have been
>  out of character for Arthur to ask Terry "Is it all sorted old son?"
>
>   It may be much older than that, but I'm not so that's when I first
> heard it.

Well, that computes.  I was the only gurl customer engineer/technician
in the no gurls allowed clubhouse in mid-70s Australia and NZ and before
that in Hong Kong.  It has always been hard for me to sort out the
linguistic influences.  Did I learn that expression in school, from TV
or by interacting with people?  Do I use it in my ordinary speech or
only when I know I'm writing to someone who might be expected to
understand Britishisms?  Worse yet, you get old and the language changes
faster than your brain does.  Thanks.

--
Lilly
godbless --everyone --no-exceptions