Any suggestions, please?

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sun Sep 12 08:37:38 UTC 2010

Rashkae wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>
>> Too bad the old, flaky and dangerous electrical wiring/installation
>> where I work still fries both the UPS and the boxes connected to it.
>> Okay, not fry, but the UPS' battery life was sure cut in half a few
>> times and the new UPS still cannot protect the boxes when there is a
>> momentary split second blackout.
>>

> If you have flaky power, then you want to make sure the UPS you buy is
> at minimum "Line Interactive".. or at best "On-Line"..   The Line
> Interactive UPS will be able to boost/reduce voltage if it dips or
> spikes.  The "On-Line" UPS will always filter power through the battery,
> and will therefore be able to handle any power situation without any
> switchover time (though Battery life will be short, and they are
> expensive).  You probably have an "Off-Line" UPS, which can only deal
> with voltage irregularities by switching to Battery, which will reduce
> the battery life *and* incurs a delay during the switch which provides
> no power to the PC.
>
> Any UPS unit will have a power switching delay (in milliseconds).  I
> forget what is generally considered acceptable, but it's worth examining
> that from the specs of your current UPS and compare to any future
> purchase.  A better quality Power Supply on the PC should better handle
> this flux period without causing Mobo to power down / reboot.

Hmm, so this guy don't cut it then...I have two APC Smart UPS 3000VA and
the one on the problem circuit just cannot take it.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA3000I&tab=features&total_watts=50

I'll look into a Smart UPS Online model for the next purchase then.
Thanks Rashkae.

See, this is what a community list is good for. Technical support only
lists are just extra rules/restrictions asking for trouble.