Building new machine -- Ubuntu compatible?

Derek Maciel ishidableach at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 00:09:01 UTC 2010

Some nice points you bring up. A few things I'd like to add though:

I won't be doing any gaming on Ubuntu, but instead, dual booting
Windows 7 x64 (I don't have a licence key for Windows XP x64). When it
comes to gaming, many of the games I like to play are only available
to Windows, and my friend has recently purchased the Radeon, and I
really like it, which is why I'm going with it. However, if you feel
I'd get more performance on both Linux AND Windows for about the same
price or maybe a bit more, than of course I'll go with the nVidia. ;)

The maximum power I'd probably need for the video card is to be able
to play Portal 2 when it comes out, and maybe Starcraft 2. Therefore,
the card I've chosen works fine for that description. However, like I
mentioned before, this is a long-term build since I'm saving up money
and buying individual parts as I have the money for them. That is why
I'll be buying the video card LAST, as the motherboard has internal
graphics.

About the RAM: I've never had a computer with more than 512MB of RAM,
and even the computer I'm using right now is 512MB. With that aside,
I'm planning on buying a single 2GB stick of RAM just to get it built
and to save up money for the graphics card, and then maybe later I'll
buy an additional 4GB stick.

Thanks,
~Derek