Low power computing - was Any suggestions, please?

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:27:19 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 5:48 PM, David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 11 Sep 2010, Michael Haney wrote:
>> As for low-power consuming PCs you can build a half-way decent Ubuntu
>> system using an Intel Atom motherboard and low-wattage PSU.  I believe
>> mobos with the new dual core Atoms should be available now.
> An Atom board is what's in the photo.
>
> I've seen a lower power system than mine being assembled (YouTube video
> recording perhaps) but I think the few watts he saved over mine was probably
> achieved by using an SSD instead of the 3.5 inch hard drive that I chose.
> Unfortunately you can't yet get a 1TB SSD at the price of about GBP37 (yes
> that was a special offer) that I paid for my HDD.

SSDs are pretty expensive, but given time they'll drop in price.  You
know how it is, most new technologies start up expensive then
eventually drop down in price over time.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts