Building new machine -- Ubuntu compatible?

Derek Maciel ishidableach at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 21:06:55 UTC 2010

The computer I'm using right now is NOT good for Ubuntu. I meet the
system requirements, sure, but after a random amount of minutes pass,
the entire screen freezes. I did some research on the problem and it
turns out that my integrated Intel graphics card is so old, that
Ubuntu no longer supports it. On older versions of Ubuntu, the
freezing is much less common, but 3D capability is null and even 2D
flash games or Youtube goes very slow.

So, I'm building a new computer (this will be my first computer built
and my first computer ever with a CPU better than a single-core P4),
and I'll post some of the components below, but I'm wondering if
anyone sees a problem on this? I won't be gaming or anything, but
finally seeing Desktop Effects on Ubuntu for myself or playing a
simple 3D game would be GREAT. =)

Thanks,
~Derek

CPU: Tri-Core AMD Athlon II x3 425 2.7GhZ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103726
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM-S2H AMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128408
RAM: 2GB. Nothing special.
Video Card: Radeon HD 5550 1GB PCI Express 2.0 x16 (I won't actually
be buying this until a bit after the computer is built. I'll be using
the onboard video for a bit.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102892