Backing up CD / DVD Media

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Sat Sep 11 12:38:13 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I have a bunch of DVDs and CDs I'd like to back up in case the media is
damaged (scratches and such).

I was thinking of using the dd command to create ISO images and keep those
ISOs on an external HD I can tuck away someplace safe.

So, I'd pop the disc in the drive and after it mounts I go to the terminal
and enter something like:

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/whatever.iso

I wanted to make sure I am on the right path and maybe there is a better way
to do this. I's love your input on this.

The idea is to have the ISO somewhere safe, in case the CD / DVD becomes
unusable, I just pop a blank media to the writer and burn the ISO to it...

Thanks!

Amichai Rotman