Help with resolution settings

Vic Main vmain at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 10 23:00:32 UTC 2010

>$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
>[it may already be installed, but if not - install it]
>
>$ sudo nvidia-xconfig
>
>Now reboot
>
>I got through the first 3 steps of this procedure and ended up with
>a screen saying "unsupported mode" in a box.
>  I had to shut the computer down ungracefully, run it up with the
> CD, edit the xorg.conf file
>
>(to find it on the drive it was under
>/media/elfc6f81-ad4a-4129-alef-61705236de34/etc/X11 ) --Is it safe
>to change that name to make some sense??
>
>I'm now back to 1024x768 with the nouveau driver. I posted a message
>on the NVIdia forum asking for help.
>
>It looks like to me that the monitor isn't being recognized by the
>Nvidia card. I can add modes using xrandr which work.
>
>I tried making a newmode with the settings that cvt gave me for a
>1280x1024 and that didn't work.
>Just some crap on the screen for a moment and then the screen went to black.
>
>Here is the results of editing the xorg.conf file before running the
>procedure above...
>
>Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         DefaultDepth    24
>         Option  "AddARGBGLXVisuals"     "True"
>EndSection
>
>Section "Module"
>         Load    "glx"
>EndSection
>
>Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Default Device"
>         Driver  "nvidia"
>         Option  "NoLogo"        "True"
>EndSection
>

>vic at vic-desktop:~$ xrandr -q
>Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 640 x 480, maximum 640 x 480
>default connected 640x480+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>    640x480        50.0*
>    320x240        51.0
>
>Other xandr commands not working
>Even the 50Hz is wrong.
>

>This is very frustrating.
>
>Thanks for the help though
>
>Vic
>--

Now an update to all this, the main problem I have now once the
nvidia driver is installed and xorg.conf is configured,

IF I CAN GET PAST THE PASSWORD SCREEN WITHOUT SEEING WHAT I'M DOING
then the monitor comes to life and works fine.
  (I was able to do this once).

It still looks like the monitor isn't being identified, and that's
the real problem.

I hooked up a brand new out of the box Dell 2007FP monitor with the
same results and it still wasn't showing up in the xorg.conf file.
The graphics card seems to be guessing as to what's connected, and
setting things up incorrectly.

It looks like a default mode is stored somewhere, and until the
xorg.conf file is run then that mode is in operation. I would guess
that the v sync is too high.
Without a scope I can't tell for sure.

I'm thinking it's now time for a bug report??

Vic

P.S. To all the subscribers whose monitor came up without a problem,
count your lucky stars, this is nasty!!