Any suggestions, please?

jerry jerryturba at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 10 16:10:27 UTC 2010

On 09/10/2010 06:57 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 10/09/2010 23:07, David Fletcher wrote:
>> I've not seen anybody else suggest it, so I will.
>>
>> Anybody who has a PC who is capable of rebuilding/modifying/repairing it,
>> should have an ATX power supply tester. They're cheap, easy to use and give
>> and instant pass/fail indication. The one I have in my hand also has probe
>> points to check the voltages with a multimeter if you want to. For the tenner
>> or so it cost, it's saved me a great deal of time and trouble.
>>

> Such a tester is AUD45 plus delivery - which is about half the price of
> a reasonably decent Antec PSU (although the one now under suspicion is
> nearly 4 times that price).
>
>> Power supplies can go wrong in various ways. My favourite is when all the
>> voltages are present and correct but the signal for the motherboard to boot
>> fails to activate. I've seen several do that trick.
>>

> Which is what I now suspect has occurred - the mobo will not boot if it
> doesn't have its special feed of 12V.
>

>> Just buy a tester, keep it handy somewhere, and one day it will pay for itself
>> in about 5 minutes.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> The manual for the Antec states that the way to test the 12V and 5V
> power is to stick probes into the yellow/black for 12V and red/black for
> 5V on a Molex connector. Doing anything else may do naughty things to
> the PSU.
>
> I may do the probing tomorrow.....particularly the special 12V connector
> to the mobo which is where I think the problem may lie.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> BC

This may be a shot in the dark but the first link sounds to me like the
same problem as yours. The second and third explain what the power good
is in more detail and how it is not generally considered user repairable.
Hope this helps diagnose your problem.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=115055
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/funcPowerGood-c.html
http://books.google.com/books?id=BIplH6DHz6UC&pg=PA125&lpg=PA125&dq=repair+power+good+signal&source=bl&ots=xuaoRMBV40&sig=9VabrnYn3q46IexKRsTHgoVPqFI&hl=en&ei=AVeKTMOvAZTGsAPE7ri_BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=repair%20power%20good%20signal&f=false
jerry