Any suggestions, please?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 10 13:57:21 UTC 2010

On 10/09/2010 23:07, David Fletcher wrote:
> I've not seen anybody else suggest it, so I will.
>
> Anybody who has a PC who is capable of rebuilding/modifying/repairing it,
> should have an ATX power supply tester. They're cheap, easy to use and give
> and instant pass/fail indication. The one I have in my hand also has probe
> points to check the voltages with a multimeter if you want to. For the tenner
> or so it cost, it's saved me a great deal of time and trouble.

Such a tester is AUD45 plus delivery - which is about half the price of
a reasonably decent Antec PSU (although the one now under suspicion is
nearly 4 times that price).

> Power supplies can go wrong in various ways. My favourite is when all the
> voltages are present and correct but the signal for the motherboard to boot
> fails to activate. I've seen several do that trick.

Which is what I now suspect has occurred - the mobo will not boot if it
doesn't have its special feed of 12V.

> Just buy a tester, keep it handy somewhere, and one day it will pay for itself
> in about 5 minutes.
>
> Dave

The manual for the Antec states that the way to test the 12V and 5V
power is to stick probes into the yellow/black for 12V and red/black for
5V on a Molex connector. Doing anything else may do naughty things to
the PSU.

I may do the probing tomorrow.....particularly the special 12V connector
to the mobo which is where I think the problem may lie.

Thanks for the suggestion.

BC