Any suggestions, please?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 10 06:03:32 UTC 2010

On 10/09/2010 02:57, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:53:13 -0700
> rikona<rikona at sonic.net>  wrote:
>

>> Hello Basil,
>>
>> Thursday, September 9, 2010, 7:02:36 AM, Basil wrote:
>>
>> BC>  Any ideas, folks?
>>
>> Two thoughts. First see if you can see the bios properly, and check
>> what it thinks it sees. I recently lost a mobo from a defective
>> replacement DVD drive. The bios reported random chrs instead of the
>> actual ID for the HD on the box, which was a clue to what caused the
>> problem. The HD, when put in another box, was fine, so didn't lose
>> anything. Second is is to try to boot from a live DVD or perhaps a
>> floppy if it has one.
>>

> Everyone seems to be missing two things:
>
> 1.  His monitor doesn't show /anything/
> 2.  There is/are no POST code beep(s)
>
> I still want to hear what the CMOS battery replacement does.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

You are correct: there is nothing on the monitor screen, and there are
no beeps, that is, the system won't even get to the BIOS menu....

Many thanks to everyone who has responded and I shall try all the
suggestions out next week (trying to play around with the box [an Antec]
again after yesterday I just cannot contemplate right now - the damn
thing weighs a half-tonne with the power supply [550W Antec] and the
Gigabyte cooler [heat pipes] I have on the CPU :-) .)

Having a look at the manual for the mobo I think I have come to the
conclusion that the PSU probably lies at the root of my trouble: the
mobo will NOT boot if it does get 12V thru the additional connector on
the mobo which is why I am thinking power supply. I'll get the
multimeter out next week and check this out.

Again, thanks for all the ideas.

BC