shriekingly tinny sound in 10.10 at higher volumes

K V vale.kenny at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 06:02:29 UTC 2010

Heyas all,
Just a quick question.  Running an Asus ATI Mobo with an ATI HD48x0 sound
card (output from lspci) with Ubuntu 10.10 desktop version.

It seems to me that all sound is pretty quiet unless it is cranked way up
(as compared to my ancient Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, which I hated to give
up), but any sound level above 'unamplified' in sound preferences gains a
tinny note at first which grows exponentially to a pure shriek, as if a
thousand fingernails were being scraped across miniature blackboards through
a really high pitched feedback loop, or a bunch of psychotic bats were
calling the days news directly into your ear canal.  It's unpleasant, dig?
:-D
Anyway, any ideas gentles?  This is painful.
Oh, btw, it is the same from the main output in the back panel or over
headphones from the front/headphone jack...

Peace,