Samba frustrations

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 01:46:16 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom H" <tomh0665 at gmail.com>
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:00:41 PM
Subject: Re: Samba frustrations

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 6:14 AM, <pkaplan1 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>From: "Tom H" <tomh0665 at gmail.com>
>>On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:56 PM, <pkaplan1 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to set up a samba server on lucid (kubuntu) and connect to it
>>> (mostly) from a win7 machine. The win7 machine and server are both in the
>>> same workgroup.
>>> The problem is that the server is not displayed in the win7 networking
>>> page.
>>> As a matter of fact, when I attach another kubuntu machine to the
>>> network,
>>> smbclient doesn't see the server either. So I assume something is wrong
>>> with the server config.
>>> The smb.conf file is
>>here:
>>https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-September/227600.html
>>
>>What' the output of
>>pdbedit -Lw
>>and
>>smbclient -L //127.0.0.1
>>on the Ubuntu server?
>
> pkaplan at dumbledore:~$ pdbedit -Lw
> tdbsam_open: Failed to open/create TDB passwd [/var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb]
> tdbsam_getsampwnam: failed to open /var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb!
> User Search failed!
> pkaplan at dumbledore:~$ smbclient -L //127.0.0.1
> Enter pkaplan's password:
> Domain=[KAPPA_NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]
> Sharename Type Comment
> --------- ---- -------
> Dumbledore-share Disk
> print$ Disk Printer Drivers
> OfficeJet Printer HP Officejet 6500 e709n
> IPC$ IPC IPC Service (dumbledore server (Samba,
> Ubuntu))
> Domain=[KAPPA_NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]
> Server Comment
> --------- -------
> Workgroup Master
> --------- -------
> KAPPA_NET PS-B810
> WORKGROUP DUMBLEDORE
> pkaplan at dumbledore:~$

A few things are weird.

1. I have no idea why "pdbedit -Lw" is failing. You have "passdb
backend = tdbsam" and haven't defined a non-standard location for
passdb.tdb in smb.conf.

2. What is PS-B810?

3. Dumbledore is in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup even though its
workgroup is set to "KAPPA_NET" in smb.conf.

Have you restarted samba since editing smb.conf?

An interesting catch...which leads me into further frustration. There are two smb.conf files on the system, one at /usr/share/samba/smb.conf and one at /etc/samba/smb.conf. Both show the work group as KAPPA_NET. I have tried sudo service smbd stop and sudo service nmbd stop followed by start for both commands, which I believe should restart the server. Yet smbclient -L //127.0.0.1 continues to show that the server is a member of WORKGROUP. ARGGH!!

I have been able to get to the server from both win7 and lucid by mapping the IP address of the server, but I still want to see it listed in the Network listing on win7 (which BTW is called PS-B810).
Paul