how to make the contents of a file disappear after x numbers of days or at date

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Thu Sep 9 15:45:46 UTC 2010

 Hi!

On 09/09/2010 17:29, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 17:23 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> Encrypt the file... and at set date, delete the key. After that, the
>> contents are LOST.
> Still requires activity/smarts that are external to the file. Actually,
> it just pushes the problem off a level - what is going to delete the
> key? The file is still not deleting itself.
>
> I would really like to hear what the OP actually seeks to achieve...
>
> Regards, K.

The subject says "how to make the contents of a file disappear". Not
necessarily the actual file itself.

Now about the key. Use a proper key management system that, linked with
the file encryption system, provides access to the file automatically,
and deletes the file a the set date. This is called "assured delete".

Google for Assured Delete papers by Radia Perlman and the
"Timed-Ephemerizer".

Gilles