how to make the contents of a file disappear after x numbers of days or at date

Mark Widdicombe mwiddicombe at shoprite.co.za
Thu Sep 9 14:52:07 UTC 2010

From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com [ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Karl Auer [kauer at biplane.com.au]
Sent: 09 September 2010 04:32 PM
On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 14:04 +0000, user1 wrote:
> >> I should be a kind of wipe operation :-)
> > Can you explain what you mean with "disappear"? Should the result be an
> > empty file or e.g. a file with the same length and random data?
>> I mean the result should be an empty file (or a part of a file), where
>> the "wiped" data is gone and cannot be restored.

>You can't create a data file that "deletes itself" - at least not in any
>common operating system and not under Linux.

I don't see why not.  You can incorporate a routine in the file (assuming it's executable)
that would check the date and if it's greater than a certain date
calls an OS routine that will delete the file stored on disk.  It won't
effect the file in memory, but the next time the file tries to load it
won't be there.

Disclaimer
http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp