Problem with newer DVD's in ubuntu 10.04 (Video-Player)

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 9 11:13:25 UTC 2010

On 09/09/2010 20:21, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Thursday 09 September 2010 11:01:39 Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> What I would suggest is that you firstly clean the DVD with methylated
>> spirits (metho) - ie, denatured alcohol - by using a couple of Kleenex
>> tissues, rolled into a "ball" and wet with metho, by using a clockwise
>> circular motion (if you are right handed or anti-clockwise if left
>> handed) as you move over the surface of the DVD. Metho does NOT affect
>> the surface coating of the DVD - trust me. Then use another pair of
>> clean tissues to clean and polish in the same way the DVD surface once
>> the metho has evaporated ( about a minute).
>>

> I have been told that tissues tend to be abrasive. There's nothing wrong as
> far as I know with using meths as a cleaning agent but I use a clean cotton
> handkerchief that's been softened by being laundered a few times or a
> microfibre cloth.

I was a bench-rest rifle shooter (6mm PPC) who loaded my own ammunition
to *very* tight tolerances to achieve the ultimate accuracy (to achieve
5 shots at 100 metres within 0.00 inches - you get the idea).

One of the major concerns in this is that the gun barrel is not in any
way damaged and espcially at the bullets exit point - damage here has
serious affects on the accuracy of the shot.

In order to not affect the bore of the rifle and the barrel's exit
point, special interest is paid to any solid cleaning material which
could damage the surface of the bore and the barrel's exit (the *crown*).

The normal test conducted by serious "accuracy freaks" is to use the
cloth/material to be used to clean the barrel is to rub this material on
a polished surface of a copper object. If the surface shows scratches,
then the material is considered too damaging.

A clean, cotton handkerchief, irrespective of how many times it has been
laundered, just doesn't make the grade :-( . In no way, shape or form.

For the purposes we are talking about here, Kleenex tissues, or
equivalent (I use Sorbent tissues, a local name no doubt) for the job.

> The other stuff I've found to be very good for cleaning all kinds of surfaces
> is available in the UK under the Turtle Wax brand, called "Clear Vue Glass
> Clean". I've found it very good on many surfaces such as windows, TV and
> computer screens, camera lenses. Try it at your own risk, obviously, but I
> find it cleans better than most other potions and wipes away without leaving
> smears.

Smears are the least of the problems. What damage does the cleaner do to
the surface of the glass/camera lens?

If you wear spectacles, are you aware that if you try and clean your
specs. using ordinary water - and plain soap for example - that you
should only use cold water to do this because anything above cold water
will destroy the coating on the lenses of your spectacles?

BC