[Rant regarding lack of DisplayConfigGtk from Hardy] Re: I'm Finally Taking Action

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 9 04:22:07 UTC 2010

On 09/08/2010 12:12 AM, Michael Haney wrote:
> This is the last straw.  There's been nothing done about the screen
> resolution issue where the manual monitor selection feature was
> removed several versions back.  So, I'm taking some drastic action.
>
> http://www.petitiononline.com/ubu2010/petition.html
>
> Spread the word, if you've been bitten by this problem sign the
> petition and let Canonical know this need to be fixed.

So, you post this here (and on Sounder) without any details, reference
to your bug report
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/x-kit/+bug/240916) that is
missing additional info [1] & appears to be more of a blog/rant without
you providing any detailed info for the dev to work on it. IIRC the
reason why the gui was removed from Ubuntu was due to issues previously
discussed & commented on via other bug reports - sample:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/DisplayConfigGtk
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/displayconfig-gtk/+bug/203612>
[Screens and Graphics menu item in wrong section]

There's more of course, but you: 1) were aware of the removal 2 years
back, and 2) you can look up the rest yourself.

Vent your complaints to xorg (as others have pointed out) and stop
wasting time on this list with your "petition". The code is here
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/displayconfig-gtk>
<https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/hardy/displayconfig-gtk/hardy>
if you'd like to take on the task of modifying & updating yourself.

Note: Good luck as the new xorg in maverick has even more surprises in
store.

[1]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/x-kit/+bug/240916/comments/2