Strange video behaviour

Daniel Louw daniel at dline.co.za
Wed Sep 8 16:08:50 UTC 2010

I thought it right to here what this mailing list has to say before
running off to BugZilla or something as I am not even sure if it is a
bug.

Anyway, like the Subject says, I am experiencing some rather strange
behaviour with my machine's video. I am using an Intel DG35EC mobo, and
the onboard VGA is powering two monitors set up in a dual-monitor
arrangement. One LCD is plugged into the DVI port, and the other into
the VGA. One screen is a 22" wide screen, and the other a 19" standard.
I am currently running Lucid.

The problem arises after leaving my PC alone long enough for the screens
to go to standby. This is the default setting for Lucid. After a while,
the screens go to standby, and on moving my mouse op pressing a key, I
get prompted to enter my login password, and then I can use my PC again.
Now, sometimes, never predictably, one of the screens would *not* come
out of sleep mode after I move my mouse. The blue LED on either screen
remains red/orange. Only when changing the resolutions of the screens
would it come back on. And it is not a specific monitor. It happens to
either one!

It's not a trainsmash, but if it is my main screen not working, I am
stuck and have to hard reboot. And that's not cool.

Any thoughts would be awesome!

Regards
Daniel