A little off topic but I hope someone can shed some light

Chadley Wilson chadleyw at pinnacle.co.za
Wed Sep 8 11:49:45 UTC 2010

From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com [mailto:ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Karl Larsen
Sent: 08 September 2010 01:33 PM
To: Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions
Subject: Re: A little off topic but I hope someone can shed some light

On 09/07/2010 08:08 PM, Matt Anderson wrote:
I have an HP Pavilion Notebook model 6324US.
The machine will not reboot.  What I mean by this, it shuts off, powers back up, but never even gets to the BIOS stuff.
I have to turn it off.  Close the lid, wait various amounts of time before it will start again.
Now, I'm running 10.04.1 very successfully so there are not a lot of time I have to restart, but non the less, it is VERY frustrating!

Any clues would be greatly appreciated!
<<snipped>

What the user is telling us is that his unit goes in to hibernation or suspension when he pushes the power button. Notebooks generally do not have reset switches.
I suggest Matt you look for you power saving features. And change them to shut down the Notebook when you press the power button, and hibernate when you close the lid.
Well actually whatever makes you happy. Look at the settings and decide what you want it to do..

Go to
System -> Preferences -> screen saver
On the window look for power settings.

Under the general tab.

I don't have my notebook at work today, so I am not sure what the notebook feature will be on this screen.

Chadley Wilson | Engineer
Research and Development | Pinnacle Africa
Direct: (011) 265 3150| Mobile: 083 295 4995 | Fax: (011) 265 3277
www.pinnacleafrica.co.za

--

        Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
        Linux User

Pinnacle Technology Holdings E-Mail Disclaimer:

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Pinnacle Technology Holdings any of it's divisions or affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of it is strictly prohibited.