Help with resolution settings

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 8 08:58:29 UTC 2010

On 08/09/2010 18:02, Michael Haney wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 3:34 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  wrote:
>
>> My wife and I have been running Linux distros for years. We are now
>> running Ubuntu 10.04.1.
>>
>> On her computer she has the FX 5500 nVidia card.
>>
>> Ubuntu recognised this card and also the LCD monitor (Viewsonic).
>>
>> She is getting the correct resolution of 1680x1050 with the nVidia
>> 173.14.22 driver, which Ubuntu's Hardware Drivers installed.
>>
>> HOWEVER - note this! - for some reason I am unable to get this to work
>> with the digital connection, only the analog connection works correctly!
>>

> I'm not using digital, just analog VGA.
>

>> Nothing to do with Canonical.
>>
>> If I recall the way things worked in the past months, as you are aware
>> nVidia is a proprietary driver, and not open source, and nVidia decided
>> that they will provide a driver which would work with any Linux distro -
>> which is why Canonical, or any other Linux distro, has nothing to do
>> with the situation.
>>

> Sorry, that's wrong.  This problem affects users with ANY graphics
> card with Ubuntu compatible 3D acceleration drivers (ie; AMD-formerly
> ATI, Nvidia, Intel, Matrox, etc., etc.).  So, its not the graphics
> card drives at all, and the lack of the ability to manually select the
> monitor settings makes it much worse.

Hold on, hold on.

In your earlier post you stated,

Anyway, I kept my old xorg.conf file with the Nvidia driver settings
and copy&  paste them into the new xorg.conf files of each new
installation after installing the Nvidia drives.  I have to manually
change my resolution after each boot using the Nvidia Configuration
Tool, but I don't often reboot unless its necessary.

Now - and even above - are you complaining about nVidia driver settings, or about graphic cards, or is it now monitors, or what?!

Make up your mind, OK?

BC