Help with resolution settings

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 8 07:34:10 UTC 2010

On 08/09/2010 16:33, Michael Haney wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  wrote:
>
>> I always used to download the latest and greatest nVidia drivers from
>> nVidia and then do the '"sh" shuffle' to have them compiled and installed.
>>
>> Since I've gone Ubuntu I just let the System>Administration>Hardware
>> Drivers option do the installation for me - the only choice I need to
>> make here is which one of the 3 suggested drivers to choose.
>>
>> Has worked here every time.
>>

> I run into the exact same issue Vic Main is having every time also.  I
> have an 8x AGP Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 w/256MB DDR-RAM.

My wife and I have been running Linux distros for years. We are now
running Ubuntu 10.04.1.

On her computer she has the FX 5500 nVidia card.

Ubuntu recognised this card and also the LCD monitor (Viewsonic).

She is getting the correct resolution of 1680x1050 with the nVidia
173.14.22 driver, which Ubuntu's Hardware Drivers installed.

HOWEVER - note this! - for some reason I am unable to get this to work
with the digital connection, only the analog connection works correctly!

>     Before version
> 7.10 the screen resolution window had a tab for manually choosing your
> monitor.  That was taken out and never put back, and since then I've
> been having the problem.  So hat a lot of other people ... a whole lot
> of other people, and for some reason Canonical is pretty much sticking
> their heads in the sand ignoring the problem.

Nothing to do with Canonical.

If I recall the way things worked in the past months, as you are aware
nVidia is a proprietary driver, and not open source, and nVidia decided
that they will provide a driver which would work with any Linux distro -
which is why Canonical, or any other Linux distro, has nothing to do
with the situation.

> Anyway, I kept my old xorg.conf file with the Nvidia driver settings
> and copy&  paste them into the new xorg.conf files of each new
> installation after installing the Nvidia drives.  I have to manually
> change my resolution after each boot using the Nvidia Configuration
> Tool, but I don't often reboot unless its necessary.
>
> The problem is really annoying and its disappointing that Canonical is
> allowing it to persist like this.  The feature to manually choose your
> monitor needs to return.

As I stated, nothing to do with Canonical.

And as far as "manually choose your monitor needs to return", I have not
had Ubuntu incorrectly recognise my monitors on any of my systems.

But if you mean "driver" - then that's a bit different, and you need to
use the help in the Ubuntu Documentation if you have hassles.

BC