Help with resolution settings

Vic Main vmain at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 8 03:19:11 UTC 2010

At 07:49 PM 09/07/10, you wrote:
>Hi Basil
>
>On Wednesday 08 September 2010 09:52:06 Basil Chupin wrote:
> > On 08/09/2010 09:28, James Takac wrote:
> > > Hi Johnny

> > > I believe he did. The notebook I'm on at the moment has the same card and
> > > is running 8.04 with suggested driver.
> >
> > What is this "suggested driver"? Perhaps this is where the problem may
> > lie - how about mentioning the driver number, what do you think?
> >
> > BC
> >
> > --
> > ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by
> > drinking alcohol. W C Fields
>

>It's been quite a while since I installed the driver and remember
>going to the
>nvidia website searching for it, downloading and installing it. Seems however
>my system has for some reason reverted to the nvidia glx driver? Considering
>that I didn't change it to that I find that interesting. In synaptic I can
>see a glx legacy So I'm going to have to look at that again. Back then I
>matched the recommended driver from the site and installed. Got the black
>screen on boot and had to edit for only the 2d side of the driver. Somewhere
>over the week I'll go thru and see if an updated driver exists or maybe now
>the glx legacy driver maybe works
>
>James
>
>--
     I'm now using 10.04. this monitor resolution thing has been the
main stumbling block in using Ubuntu more.
With the version I just tried to update and trashed, the generic
driver gave me a maximum of 600x800.
The generic driver in 10.04 now gives me 1024x768, a huge step up.
The NVIDIA driver "recommended" that I tried is called
"NVIDIA ACCELERATED GRAPHICS DRIVER (VERSION 96)"  I can tweak all
sorts of settings, but the video resolution
choice that driver gives me is 320x240, or 640x480. I'm going to go
and delve into the drivers available again

As an explanation of what I have re: the question I asked about
partitioning recomendations.
An HP Pavillion with an AMD Athalon processor and 512MB memory 2 ide
drives (1-150GB, the other 160GB)
I've partitioned  the 160 so that Ubuntu is running off of it, 1
500GB SATA and 1 750GB SATA in a Thermltake USB dual SATA drive interface.
I also have a HP MediaSmart server running Windows Home server with 2
TB in it. It backs up laptops and the main drive on the Pavillion
with ntfs partitions on them.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions and help!!

Vic